10.08.2009

THE WORST MAGAZINE EVER



The same day I wrote about the best magazine ever I opened my mail box and received another issue of the worst magazine ever.

There it was in my stack of mail, the Marc Ecko Complex Magazine. This is my least favorite magazine and I know what you are thinking. "Why do you get it?" Good question but I have asked myself the same question many times. The truth is, I have no idea how it even started appearing in my mail box to begin with. The first time I saw it in my mail I thought the postman put it in the wrong mailbox. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

Nope, it was in the right mailbox. It was addressed to me.

I have been receiving it for several months without ever reading it. Each issue has just been laying around taking up space. Part of the reason I never tried to read it is that it's busy and full of junk filling every page to every edge. The design and photography is mostly mediocre. Ok, I have seen some cool stuff.

Yes, its target market might be the 20-30 urban male that likes style but I guess I am a different kind of urban male with a different style. You would think that a magazine that has young beautiful women gracing the covers would appeal more to me but sadly this magazine makes me sick to even look at it let alone try to read it.

A month or two ago I went to the magazine website to unsubscribe to this magazine I was getting for free. There was no unsubscribe anywhere (if there is, let me know). I decided I would write Mr. Marc Ecko or at least Complex and tell them I no longer wanted their magazine.

I wrote:

Please remove me from your mailing list as I would no longer like to receive your ultimate buyer's guide for men (or something like that).

I hit send. Never heard anything from Marc or Complex.

And what did I find in my mailbox just the other day. The October/November issue.

Since I have another magazine I don't want I weighed my options. Instead of just tossing it out, I could either try to send it back with a lovely message or I could give it away to someone that appreciates urban style, hip hop, and magazines with no leading or negative space.

What do you think? Send it back or give it away?

If you or someone you know wants/needs a FREE magazine about urban men's style leave a comment or send me an email.

Will make a great white elephant gift.

Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

  1. mark it return to sender: refused and stick it back in the mailbox. as far as I know, the postage get's paid by the party sending it.

    http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:06 PM

    call 866-438-7539 they will help you out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this in my own search to unsubscribe. We had the same thing happen -- suddenly started receiving this magazine for no apparent reason. I called the phone number Anonymous supplied above and voila! off the list. Saving some trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralf H1:20 PM

    Ditto, RP. This blog post was the second hit under a search for "marc ecko complex unsubscribe", right after the magazine's website. The title of the post and the snippet made it clear this was much more likely to give me the information I needed than the first result. I called the # in anonymous' comment and am now unsubscribed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:11 AM

    thanks so much for anonymous for the no. !!! it helped me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Thank you for the number! I searched online to find a way to unsubscribe and found this post. Successfully unsubscribed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:28 AM

    thank you for the number! i couldn't figure it out either until i stumbled upon this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Oh ha ha ha!!!!

    So... we moved right? Like 4 or 5 months ago... NO more magazines... so we thought they had lost us... Until TODAY! They found us again! So I found this lovely post, found the number, called, and ironically this was the last issue or our "subscription" anyway!!! Bahahaha!!! Good to know they won't be sending anymore. Go figure! But thanks for the 800 number. I googled it first (just to be sure because you never know). Wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:09 AM

    I called the number Anonymous listed above 6 months ago. Was told by the rep I would never receive another magazine. 3 months later, there was one in my mailbox. This time I returned to sender, refused. Yesterday, guess what was in my mailbox again! So frustrated with this publication. I never asked for it, and certainly don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Exactly the same thing. This magazine started showing up from nowhere, never ordered it, not even exactly sure what the hell it is! I called the number listed above and it does go to Complex customer service (or probably a call center that handles many subscriptions). I asked the lady to unsubscribe me and was informed that my subscription had already expired. This was news to me because I just received one 2 days prior. Asked her why I am getting this magazine at all and she told me it was complimentary from the publisher. Complimentary? More like unsolicited.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:31 PM

    Me too! I just called 866-438-7539, per recommendation. No wait, no funky elevator music. Spoke to rep, fed him my address. Unsubscribed! Less than 2 minutes.

    Hopefully I won't get re-added by another rep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:36 PM

    I called 866-438-7539 and stopped the "complimentary" subscription in about 2 minutes. All I had to do is verify my name and mailing address that the mag was sent to. Will this fix it? Dunno. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:33 PM

    just called the number. Got a real nice person. I was told my subscription (which i never had) ended in 2012 (today is October 2013). The woman put me on the do not promote list which she hopes will take me off. I hope so too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:00 PM

    Called the number. The woman I spoke with wa svery nice, and apologetic. I was unsubscribed in about two minutes. She said I may recieve one more because they are labelled a month in advance, but hopefully thats it.

    They can tell you how it is you came to be subscribed. In my case it was a pull out from a magazine. I know I didn't send one in, but I work with a bunch of jokers, so I'm sure it was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:04 PM

    I began receiving mags from them too and I did the same thing you did. I emailed them saying: Please take me off of your mailing list as I did NOT subscribe to this stupid magazine because it's really STUPID and BORING.

    No response, nothing. I got another stupid mag from them today after emailing them over a month ago. Their magazine sucks which is why they send free subscriptions since they can't sell it. I'll try the number.. I wish I could find the CEO of this mag and hit 'em with and tell them the magazine is so stupid, they would do better selling it as toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails